A picture is worth thousand words. So, what is a map worth?
Maps give you all the advantages of an image plus more information like roads, geography or place names. A map adds a kind of depth to your topic that’s not possible with any other media.
Here’s how to embed a Google Map in a WordPress.com Post or Page.
- Create your map in Google Maps. Select the “Public” button below the Description window so your map will appear on the page. “Save” your map but do not hit the “Done” button…yet
- Select the Chain link button at the top of the editing area and copy the Embed code. (If you want to make changes in your and re-embed it you will need to select the “Embed” button and then Link button to copy the new embed code.) Close the Link window and select “Done.”
- Switch over to your WordPress Post or Page and select the Text tab. Paste the embed code where you want it to appear on your page.
- Switch back to the Visual tab. You’ll see a yellow box where the map will appear. Preview your Post or Page to be sure it looks the way you want.
- Now “Publish” or “Update” your Page or Post.
- WordPress converts the Google embed code above into the WordPress “short code” you see below.
There is a lot you can do with maps to tell your story with more context. Or let your audience discover your story by exploring the map themselves.